Ingrown Toe Nails
Often a cause for anxiety, fear and stress – ingrown toenails are a very common complaint our podiatrist in Camden treats. You often hear the horror stories of what people have had done to them, either by a trusted love one or another medical professional.
We can assure you here, at Reform Podiatry in Camden that we have effectively treated patients from all over Sydney with little to no pain and excellent treatment outcomes.
What is an ingrown toe nail, and how does it happen?
An ingrown nail occurs when a piece of nail has pierced the epidermis of the nail sulci. As the nail grows in length, the pierced nail is pushed deeper into the underlying tissue resulting in pain, discomfort and often infection. Affected toes will become red, swollen and the pain is often exacerbated by pressure. Patients often find even the pressure of their bed sheet on the toe to be very painful. As the condition deteriorates pus is discharged from the injured site, which may indicate a bacterial infection.
What can cause ingrown toenails:
- Incorrect nail cutting technique
- Nail trauma or injury
- Poor fitting footwear
- Nail conditions
- Flat feet – over pronation
- Hallux limitus – reduced movement at the big toe
How can we treat ingrown toenails:
- Ingrown toenails can be managed through routine podiatry, with and without local anaesthetic
- Partial Nail Avulsion Surgery to permanently repair nail deformity
- Assessment/treatment of potential biomechanical contributing factors: Foot wear, Foot mechanics etc
If you believe your toe pain is similar, book an appointment with your Podiatrist in Camden to accurately diagnose and effectively treat your ingrown toenail. Become one of many happy and relieved patients who have previously been treated.